Friday, June 11, 2010

Just when you least expect it.........

01/21/10

A wonderful woman has come (back) into my life.  Phyllis Free and I met at Georgia’s Governor’s program during the summer of 1965.  She’s a drummer, and she was in the music program.  I qualified in English and dramatic arts.  I chose dramatic arts and had one of the best summers of my life.  We became fast friends and kept up during our seniors years of high school, then, as so often happens, our lives took us in separate directions.  I stayed home to attend nursing school, and she went off the the University of Georgia and majored in performing arts, though music is her first love.  I was at her wedding, but I don’t remember it. (Sorry, Phyl).  There is so much about my past that I don’t remember.  I should have told her on Sunday, but I will see her on Saturday when I’m on my way to Savannah.  She lives about halfway between Macon and Savannah in a little town called Swainsboro.

About 10 days ago, she found me on facebook!  Within a couple of days, she was here for a visit and we fell back in step.  She came out as a lesbian after five years of marriage to her high school sweetheart, and at the same time he came out as gay.  I think it’s very cool that they are still fast friends.

So,what, you may ask, does any of this have to do with dealing with the paralyzing grief I have suffered?  Phyl has a warm and healing and understanding way about her.  She sends off very positive waves of energy to me, and I know she came back into my life for a reason.  Just like the first day I saw Ann Carol, my therapist, I came away from our visit knowing that Phyl is going to help me along this journey of sadness and self-discovery.

We share a love of poetry and have been exchanging poems.  She’s not in a relationship right now, and I’m certainly not, so we have time to spend together before I go into the re-entry nursing program and start working.  I feel a modicum of hope for the first time in months.

I even went out last night and played duplicate bridge.  Jesus.  Who took over my brain and made me do that?  I actually had a good time!  Well, there was this one bitch who got on my nerves, but we only had to play two boards.

No comments:

Post a Comment

I love comments. Compliments are always wonderful, but please feel free to leave constructive criticism. How can I learn and grow without your input?