Friday, June 11, 2010

You and Me and a Dog Named Poop

04/03/10

I have no excuse for this post.  I have no idea what made me write it all down, so, at the outset, I beg our forgiveness.



03/27/10 You & Me and a Dog Named Poop

And I thought work was going to be hard.  Any of you who have followed this blog know that I have 2 dogs - a Boxer and a Lhasa Apso.  They are my best friends and sleep with me at night.  I cry on their shoulders - sometimes literally - when I am sad and missing The Love of my Life.  They are good dogs, kindhearted and sweet, and they live in a doggie playpen when I’m not at home.

And one of them is SICK.  When I got home from work on Thursday, Belle had pooped (read that diarrhea) all over their playpen, and she and Honey had their bedding all in a bunch in an effort to separate themselves from the mess.  Jesus.  It was gross.  I gave the dog some Immodium and started scrubbing.  Fun?  Not so much.  But I got it done.  Thanks to wood floors and Swiffer products and a good washing machine, it wasn’t too long before the pups had a clean house and linen.

Yesterday morning, Belle was still having trouble, so I gave her some more medicine and no breakfast.  

Now for the fun part.  I went to work 8:45, and while Debra went to lunch I came home to see about Belle.  She still didn’t feel good but there was no mess, and it was not time for more meds.  We sat in the sun on the deck for an hour, then I put the dogs back into their playpen and went back to work.

I arrived home this morning at 5:00.  Yes, 5:00 AM, and I am telling the story of the intervening hours on my blog, The Red Sweater.  This post is about, well, poop and puke.

Belle was sick again, this time with vomiting in the mix, so, staggering with fatigue, I began the cleanup once more.  I decided to stay awake and take her to the vet as soon as they opened.  We were home by 10:30, after Belle had a couple of shots for nausea and diarrhea and we were given a bottle of pills for her.  Dr. Griffin said he thought she had a virus, and when I asked if she could have gotten it at the dog park, he said to wait and see if both dogs get sick, and that would tell the tale.  2 sick dogs=sick from the dog park.



03/28/10 - Sunday

Last night, Honey got sick.  Since she sleeps with me, when she had to poop, she jumped off the bed and went into the bathroom and went on the mat.  I was only semiconscious after my 24 hour day, I really didn’t get it when she kept asking to be helped back onto the bed.  (Sleep deprivation affects the brain like alcohol, so I was definitely impaired).  

When I finally woke to the aroma of dog poop on my sheets, I wanted to crawl under the bed and suck my thumb, and if there weren’t so much dust under there, I may have done just that.  Did I mention that Honey is a Lhasa Apso?  Long hair?  Stains from poop?  Gross total.

So, I gave her some Immodium, stripped and aired and remade the bed.  God, that clean fresh bed beaconed.  BUT, I stayed awake, dosing the dog at intervals and watching her get sicker  - in the yard, thank God.

03/28/10 - Monday

So, this morning, missing the staff meeting at work, I was back in Dr. Griffin’s office with both dogs.  We came home with more medicine for Belle, a large supply for Honey.  I barricaded them in the kitchen, and with a quick prayer, left the back door open for them and went to work.

When I got home this afternoon, all was well in the world of dog poop, or more accurately, non-poop.   On my way home, I stopped at PetSmart to buy “No Pull” harnesses, so we went for a walk.  By the way, the harnesses work like magic.  No more dog park.

No comments:

Post a Comment

I love comments. Compliments are always wonderful, but please feel free to leave constructive criticism. How can I learn and grow without your input?